Have you ever landed on a website and were not sure what the company did?
Crafting compelling headlines can be a difficult task and can be vital to your site’s success. It takes about 50 milliseconds (ms) (that’s 0.05 seconds) for users to form an opinion about your website that determines whether they’ll stay or leave.
Your home page’s one-line headline needs to inform, intrigue, and inspire your users. It needs to explain who you are, who you help, and why they should care – all in one or two sentences.
The best formula for crafting compelling headlines for your perfect home page:
- Make it clear who this product/service is for
- Some pain or failure they want to avoid
- Your product or service or solution
- The success they will have if they pick you
- A call-to-action or a plan (if desired)
The formula in action:
Our agency, Brave Factor, creates websites and brands for nonprofits. Instead of focusing on our services or listing what we build, we focus on the target audience, their pain, and how we can help them succeed. Our one-liner is:
Brave Factor helps nonprofits and social enterprises avoid lost opportunities by giving them a brand and website that creates clarity and increases their social impact. Let’s create together.
Broken down, you can see each of the five points.
- We help nonprofits and social enterprises – Who our audience is, so people know if we are the right service for them
- avoid lost opportunities – the target audience’s pain
- by giving them a brand and website – our solution
- that creates clarity and increases their social impact. – the success if they work with Brave Factor
- Let’s create together. – The call to action
The perfect compelling headlines should be short and sweet. It should capture your audience’s attention and make them want to learn more. You only get one first impression, so make sure your introduction makes an impact.